Saturday, December 9, 2017

Christmas lights everywhere!

I've always liked Christmas time but this year in particular my obsession with Christmas lights is getting out of control. If it was a thing, my dad would definitely sign me up for "Christmas light-holics anonymous". The first step towards recovery is admitting you have a problem. So here it goes. My name is Baiba, I'm 24, and I'm addicted to Christmas lights. 
[Reginald the Raccoon looking dashing as always]

[Try to spot Marty in this]

Ok, so maybe putting lights on a dog is not a good idea, but I'm handling myself quite well. I've only got one more string of lights left to put somewhere. But don't you worry, I will figure it out.

Most people think I'm too excited for Christmas. Everyone's always worried about money, presents and everything else. But here's the thing. In my family, we don't really buy Christmas presents. It's been like this for over 10 years now. Of course, when we were kids, my parents would get me and my sister many wonderful gifts, but as we grew older, we realized we don't really need anything. So there's only one thing I ask my parents every year for Christmas - a chocolate Santa. That's all I want. If I need anything else, I can buy it myself. I don't need any expensive gifts, that's not what Christmas is about. So for my family it's a wonderful time of peace, kindness and food. The only ones who get presents are actually our pets. Both dogs and the cat get a cool new toy every year and let me tell you, it brings us the greatest joy to get them something, because they get so excited and happy, like little kids.
 
The only thing I have mixed feelings about is snow. In small amounts it's kinda cute and it makes this whole Christmas thing more jolly. However, as someone who drives a lot, I'm not a big fan of it. The roads are terrible, some people drive like maniacs and it just creates a lot more problems than joy. But this year even I get a little excited whenever we get some snow. This morning I woke up to a blizzard and giant piles of snow. My dogs were excited and so was I. I even made a ridiculous little snowman on my balcony. Meet Maverick.
Now, I know what you're thinking. "But Baiba, it looks creepy as hell. And is his face made out of cat food?" Why yes. And his nose is a peanut m&m. But if you think that's creepy, wait 'til you see what happened to it 10 minutes later...
[RIP Maverick]

The snow is melting fast, but my Christmas spirit stays strong. And so does my will to be kind and do good. Every year I try to donate as much as possible and as of last year, my family joined the so called "Operation Shoe-box". In case some of you don't know, but would like to join - Operation Shoe-box is when you get a small box and fill it with all kinds of goods of your choice. It can be candy, toys, mittens, puzzles, coloring books, Christmas ornaments, anything that would bring joy to kids. You wrap it up all nice and pretty, write a little note with the approximate age of the kid it's meant for and give it to the local officials who take care of this charity. And they will deliver the box to a less fortunate kid in need of a little Christmas kindness. Of course, it's important to do good things all year long, but during this time of the year, when the less fortunate feel the pressure of the Holidays, it's nice to help them out a little and put a smile on their faces.
 
So be good and kind to yourselves and others :)
Take care.
-B- 

 




5 comments:

  1. Poor Maverick! I love Christmas lights, and I love your attitude about giving.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your family!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Baiba, I just loved this posting, filled as it was with your enthusiasm for the season, your love for animals, and your generosity of spirit. What a wonderful young woman you are. It's such a delight to know you and to read your postings as the years pass.

    Your family's idea to gift the animals is a wonderful one. Like you I buy for myself whatever I need and much of what I want, so I truly don't need any more gifts. But the giving of kindness--which you wrote about at the end of your posting--is the greatest gift of all. I'll try to follow your example and practice it all year long. Peace, Baiba, to you today and always.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Baiba, what a lovely post filled with true Christmas spirit and your sparkly personality. I was so happy to hear from you and sorry I haven't come by for a long time. I have been busy with house renovation, people around, and so on. It will hopefully be better in the new year. Sending love to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Baiba, I hope you are just busy with life and all that it brings each day and that you aren't ill. Please take care of yourself. Peace.

    ReplyDelete

Unwanted House Guests

Today is my birthday!  I've never had any problems stating my age. Not sure if that's something women struggle with only at a certai...