Thursday, April 9, 2020

Is It Worth Being A Good Person?

Have you ever been so close to an emotional breakdown, that even the smallest thing like dropping your sandwich sends you on the floor, crying your eyes out?

That was me two days ago. The only good thing is, I'm a really ugly crier, so every time I start crying, I make myself laugh because of how ridiculous I look when I'm bawling.

The world is a scary place right now. And not because of the virus, but because of people. Obviously, everyone is aware that there are pretty bad people in this world, however, it takes a global epidemic to see how truly shitty the mankind can be. 

People are trying to scam those who help, trying to get some money, things or attention for no reason and so on. But what surprises me the most in this whole global mess, is how truly mean and pathetic some people can be. I usually don't read any news and specially the comments, simply because there is never anything good. It's mostly just lies and fabricated garbage, just to get people all riled up. However, since I live far away from my family and friends, I like to be updated on the current situation back at home, so I have to read the news whether I like it or not. But, unfortunately, the little devil in me makes me also click the comments, and that's where things start to go wrong.

There are so many articles about people not being able to get back home because the borders are closed. And to me that's sad and scary. But the comments mostly consist of: "It's your own fault. Stay where you are, we don't need you and the virus here. If you wanted to leave so bad, then don't come back. I hope you get the virus." Or, whenever there's an article about a politician or a celebrity getting the virus, people post comments like: "You deserve it! Finally! I hope you die!"

Now, the last one is the scariest one. How pathetic does ones life have to be in order to wish something so bad to someone else? This jealousy, this anger, spite and hatred towards someone they don't even know. Where is it coming from? And why? Why are there so many bad people in this world?

And this brings me back to my meltdown. I'm not claiming I'm an angel or a saint, however, my whole life I've tried to be a good person. I donate money to charities, I adopt animals instead of buying them, I've bought gifts to children for Christmas, I've bought food for a lot of homeless people, I always help all my friends and family and so on. Countless times people have told me that I'm actually too nice.

I do all this without expecting anything back, because I truly believe in Karma. And I can't complain about my life, because I know so many people have it way worse than I do. However, for the last couple of months, a lot of bad things have happened to me and my family. We barely get back on our feet from one problem when the next one occurs. So the other day, after months of stress and financial problems, when I dropped that sandwich, that was the tipping point. And as I sat on the floor, weeping in total defeat, I couldn't help but ask out loud: Why do bad things happen to good people? Is it even worth being a good person? 

And the answer is Yes. Here's the thing. I know I'm too nice, there's no denying it. I let people take advantage of me, I do work for my friends for free, I don't ask enough money for my work, because I hate asking people for money, I care too much about others and their problems, I've been scammed twice, because I only tend to see the good in people, and so on. Those are obviously my mistakes and I try to learn from them. BUT! I do think it's worth being a good person. Being good costs nothing, but it means everything. One act of kindness could brighten someone's day or even save someone's life. And if I can make even the smallest difference in a world full of grayness, I will do it. Being good makes me feel like there's hope. Hope for a better future, a better society. And if there's ever a time to quote a line from one of my favorite movies, this is it:

"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."
/Stephen King

Be good, be kind, be safe!
Take care.
-B-

12 comments:

  1. Do you have any idea of what a lovely person you are? I believe you can never go wrong being a good person. But I also believe it is important to be a critical thinker, someone who can distinguish between good and bad. Someone who will not become a victim of a scammer, ever. You are so right - being good means everything. Right now, I'm in awe of all the good that's being done by medical personnel and everyone else, those who clean the hospitals, those who work in our grocery stores, doctors, nurses, and so many others. Brave, good, and caring people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why do bad things happen to good people? I have asked this many times over and over again. When someone very close had to suffer for a long time and finally pass away..... I asked the same question. But then later when you look back and think about the whole thing it is those good things that stand out as an identity of that person.
    And people who are good at heart will always remain like that ....... forever. They never change.
    So be good :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hang in there, sweetie, and remind yourself that there are far more good and decent people in this world than there are evil. If you focus on the good, the bad won't bring you down so much. I'm considerably older than you are and I will readily admit to being a pathological optimist. I've been told many times that I'm "too nice" or "too optimistic or "too trusting," etc., but I don't think it's possible to be "too" any of those things, do you? I mean, we are who we are, and given the choice, I wouldn't want to be any other way, and I don't think you would, either. Take care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I try to never read those trolls who are so lonely and miserable that they only satisfaction they get is trying to bring others down with cruelty. But do they succeed? I think not, they just keep breeding their own misery by those comments. Their hearts and lives are black and yours is sunny. When they show up on my blog, and they do, I simply say 'I am so sorry your life is so unhappy' as I hit delete. I sleep well, pretty sure they don't. Stay sweet and caring.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Almost forgot. Remember there are way more of us than them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally understand about the sandwich. I'm also a very ugly cryer. I think it's because when it's unleashed, it's a fury, which just looks like a screwed up face with a lot of snot. Nothing at all pretty about it.

    My son was in NY and don't you think I didn't bust hiney to get my baby home. And all those trolls who say people should be trapped where they are would change their tune in a heartbeat if it was their loved one in the cross hairs. If they don't...well, maybe they're more heartless and they ought to do a gut check.

    When I was young, people used to accuse me of having Pollyanna thinking. That comment used to offend me. Then I watched Pollyanna when I got Disney and I thought, hell, we should all think like Pollyanna and the world would be a better place. Mean people suck and I refuse to let them pull me into their misery. Life isn't always easy, but a smile will never cost you a dime.

    PS...hair won't work to get rid of slugs, but pans of beer will. They love the taste and will crawl into the bowl and the salt in the beer will kill them. See? I have a mean side too. :)

    Hugs and prayers that your family is safe and healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Baiba, I'm coming weeks/months late to your posting. I hope you have gone to that deep center of yourself where Oneness dwells. The Oneness that connects us all to those who lived before us, to those who live now, to those coming. In that Oneness we are all the best we can be. And the truth is that for many the best they can be seems somewhat sad to others like yourself who try to live and who do live a good life. Please hold on to your belief that deep down in everyone there is the light of Oneness. But for many they have fled that light so that it's so dim that they cannot be guided by it--by the wisdom of the past or the present. But you can go down into that deep place in yourself and rest your weary mind and your wounded heart and be at peace. All shall be well. I trust in that. Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi,
    I am not sure if you remember me but I stopped blogging ages ago but never stopped thinking about my blogger friends... and today I feeling low and randomly I logged into my blog and saw yours first in the list that I was following .. and the first sentence really hit me and thought I should post a comment. Just to tell you that your post somehow was what I Wanted right now and I am so glad I met you online... Take care and keep spreading smiles

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Baiba, I'm writing to let you know that our friend Fran, AKA fishducky, passed away last week. She was my friend off the blogs as well as on and I know you left comments on her blog, so I wanted to let you know. I miss you and hope you are doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey, long time no posts ....... ?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I definitely enjoying every little bit of it. It is a great website and nice share. I want to thank you. Good job! You guys do a great blog, and have some great contents. Keep up the good work.
    newborn baby gifts delivered in Brisbane

    ReplyDelete

Unwanted House Guests

Today is my birthday!  I've never had any problems stating my age. Not sure if that's something women struggle with only at a certai...